/ Commentary: Jazzy, Rainy and Racist Weekend! - Peepirit
         

Commentary: Jazzy, Rainy and Racist Weekend!

By Clyde Gregoire

LeBron James on June 1st, 2017 stated to the international media, “No matter how much money you have being black in America is tough.” He could not have said it more bluntly or vividly. 

Booking An Apartment as a Local in Picard
I decided to take the trip up north of Dominica for the much-anticipated jazz festival at the Cabrits National Park weekend-leg.  In my resolve to spend the weekend I inquired about booking an apartment in the Picard area. My friend who is familiar with the community there took me apartment hunting and we stumbled on this native who was easily approachable.  He was asked about an apartment and he said there is none available. Later that same afternoon a female attendant at one of the prominent structures introduced us to a man who gave us a number to call. We rang the number and since I am not used to the local lingo I passed the phone to my friend who immediately knew to whom he was speaking to.

It was the same man whom we had met earlier. He had informed us that there were no apartments available.  After a brief telephone conversation, a rendezvous was set to view six available apartments.

Upon meeting the man who had earlier declared that no apartments were available he was very disturbed that he had inadvertently set a rendezvous with local people whom he had previously denied. He appeared disconcerted as though he was tricked into this meeting, saying that he thought his meeting was with Americans. It was painful that South Africa’s xenophobia is right here in Dominica. But it did not end there.

Dining as a Local
The following morning, in my hunt for breakfasts, I entered the Corner restaurant on the Picard highway. 

I approached the attendant several times. She never responded to me.  It was as if I had suddenly gotten invisible. She focused her attention on the white and Indian customers. Even after she was through serving them, she completely ignored me. In her disdain and disregard, she turned her back towards me, pretending not to acknowledge my attempts in communicating with her. Her co-worker interjected to her that I needed assistance. It had become difficult to yield to this condescension; something I no longer wanted to be part of, so I immediately left. 

On the beautiful coconut laced Portsmouth beach, I embarked upon Le Flambeau Restaurant and bar. 
I directly went to the maitre -d and ordered lunch. After the lunch was placed in front of me I never saw the waitress again. Lucky me, my saliva glands are in top shape.
Then I was joined by a friend from the east coast who went to order at the counter at the same time a white couple walked in and immediately a male steward went straight to them and began serving them. He glanced at me several times and never inquired whether or not I needed a drink or assistance. Is that the rubric of tourism we are creating in Dominica?  Is that the effigy of Dominica we are potraying?  Is it that Dominicans should not patronize white restaurants in Dominica?

Cabrits Jazz Festival 2017
Share on Google Plus

1 comments:

  1. So if this is the attitude that local business owners and their employees have, why on God's green earth are they advertising staycation? Small minded people - and mark you, these are the same people who will go in another establishment and complain about the service. Oh, de waiter/waitress not studying them...

    ReplyDelete