/ COMMENTARY: the cry of a small businessman - Peepirit
         

COMMENTARY: the cry of a small businessman

By Clyde Gregoire 


Oh!  Dominica  
"You think it easy, nuh! When you have to pay one hundred and fifty thousand dollar loan? Plus staff to pay? And your family to feed?"
This was the painful cry of a  businessman in the portsmouth community as he spilled out his guts revealing the pain and suffering as a small business man in Dominica.
I responded in awe since portsmouth is the town that eat, sleep and breath labour for many decades in Dominica's political history. "Are you serious mister? This is a solid labour stronghold and that should not be happening to you." 

He replied "I have several vehicles on the port and I have to pay seventy-five dollars for everyday they remain uncleared in the customs. It's not easy for small businesses in this country. The prime minister talks but he sings a diffirent tune when it comes to action!" he exclaimed " I do not want to beg no one for favor just make the system favorable for the small businessman."

I asked him, "why don't you talk to your parliamentarian? He can talk to the people on your behalf. 

He responded, "they will mash up my business! They will tell people not to support me and bury my business. I just have to suffer and soon I will have to lay off my staff, it is like the Chinese  is taking over this place"
Just as the conversation started, it ended when I reached my destination.

Caribbean people tend to speak out without being asked any question. This man pelted his fustration at me. I do not know him and he does not know me . I was only a passenger in the right place at the right time to let you the reader know that something is not right in Dominica.  "All that glitters is not gold"
Share on Google Plus

0 comments:

Post a Comment