/ Dominica’s ‘Cocaine Crew’ - Peepirit
         

Dominica’s ‘Cocaine Crew’

By Clyde Gregoire
In a conversation with 21 year old Daphnie, a young woman from Portsmouth, she disclosed the secret of how she survives the struggle to live in Dominica.
“I sell cocaine. Some of my clients are as young as 14 years old,” she says that selling hard drugs is the only way for people who have been locked out of the economic system to get by in life.

“I am tired of looking for work when there are no jobs for a person with no technical skills like me, I’m just tired of begging,” Daphnie looked at the ground, "I walked for days trying to get a little cash from a representative of the government to help cover my rent and to buy food. When I do get it, I still have to go and ask for more because of the back up from previous months plus the utility bills. I have been in the dark for too long and needed to start doing something to help myself. My brother who is in Guadeloupe sends the white powder over and I sell to my clients.  Cocaine is now cheaper than Marijuana so it's easier for them to access and for me to sell.”A tear drop of cocaine cost five dollars Eastern Caribbean dollars(5 xcd) or united states dollars one dollar and sixty cents ( 1.60. USD) and one British pounds (1£). Daphnie says, “I am not going to stop selling cocaine.  That’s the way I survive, and my survival is not a game. I hope something positive happens for Dominica, because it would be cool if I could exchange my cocaine trade for something more constructive within the society… you know, something that won’t hurt the minds of the young people.”  

Today a number of young men and women are seen walking the streets of Roseau aimlessly.  Most of them are ridiculed and referred to as addicts. During the recent carnival celebrations in Roseau groups of young men and women could be seen inhaling the white powdery substance which has now become easily accessible in Dominica’s market as a common commodity.  In a popular local band, vocalist gave shout outs
 to the Cocaine Crew.

Share on Google Plus

0 comments:

Post a Comment